If you love weed but prefer not to smoke, the best way to get high is with edibles. However, what if you could make your own? The secret to edibles is cannabis butter, which you can make easily at home. So get ready to change your life, as we will illustrate for you how to make cannabis butter.
Step One: Decarboxylating in the Oven
If you want to get technical, this process is called decarboxylation, and it activates the essential compounds in cannabis, THC and CBD. This step is necessary to ensure that your cannabis butter works well for edibles.
What You’ll Need
- ½ ounce of cannabis (pick your favorite strain)
- Weed grinder or scissors
- Glass or metal baking sheet pan
Steps to Decarb Your Marijuana
- First, preheat your oven to 220 degrees Fahrenheit
- Next, break down your cannabis into fine particles. They should be about the size you’d use for a joint. If they’re too small, they’ll slip through the cheesecloth (see step two) and out of your butter.
- Once your cannabis is ready, spread it evenly on your baking pan.
- The amount of baking necessary depends on the type you’re using. Low-quality marijuana only needs to cook for about 20 minutes. High-quality cannabis should bake for 45 minutes. If the plant is still fresh and wet, heat it for about an hour.
- Mix every 10 minutes or so. You’ll know it’s decarboxylated once the color changes from green to a deep brownish-green. Remove the cannabis from the oven once it’s ready.
Step Two: Infusing Cannabis Into Butter
Now that your cannabis is thoroughly decarbed, you must mix it with butter. Alternatively, you can infuse olive oil with marijuana so that you can be more versatile with your cannabis dishes.
What You’ll Need
- 1.5 cups water
- 8 ounces of clarified butter or oil
- ½ ounce of decarbed cannabis
- Medium-sized saucepan
- Wooden spoon
Steps to Infuse Your Cannabis Butter
- Set your saucepan to very low heat, then add water and butter.
- Once the butter is fully melted (no chunks), mix your cannabis with a spoon.
- Cover the saucepan and let simmer for four hours. Check on the butter every 30 minutes or so to ensure that it’s not burning. You can’t bump up the heat to shorten the time, either. Doing so will burn the concoction and lead to an off-putting taste. You can also use a thermometer to ensure the mix doesn’t go over 180 degrees.
- After four hours, strain the mixture through a cheesecloth. Let the butter cool to room temperature.
- If storing the butter for later, put it in the refrigerator in an airtight mason jar. The mixture should last up to six months.
Get Better Cannabis From Foothill Wellness Center
If you want high-quality cannabis butter, you need the best plants. We offer high-end medical marijuana for a wide variety of needs. Contact us today.